Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Security Check




The more I talk to young women the more I run across the topic of security. Security of a future, job, relationships, family, career whatever the case maybe. But security in something. I had a friend who recently lost a huge portion of her security in life and was describing the void and pain it brought her. The pain made it hard to be herself amidst the brokenness and insecurity. It was a situation beyond her control.  She lamented the fact that a majority of her Christian friends were telling her nonchalantly to pray about it and give it to God.  
While that advice is true, I couldn’t help but think. God already has it…he doesn’t need us to give him anything.  Nothing we have could bring God anymore happiness than he already has. But what God does want is to be our security. He will take anything away that breeds a false sense of security, leaving us feeling hurt and broken which is just a portrayal of how we already look to Abba. 
If we think we have it all together we are sadly mistaken. I have made this mistake several times. Gripping and grasping and what I think will bring me happiness when instead I am worshiping the created rather than the Creator. In my friends case the Lord tore her down to rock bottom to understand that Christ has to be her Rock.
Revelation 3:17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.”
This is our CONSTANT spiritual condition. But often times we forget how broken we truly are! As my friend kept pouring out her heart to me, I thought man this is such  an opportunity to grow! 
Just like we grow physically we also grow spiritually. During this season of her life and she is learning to grow in security in the Lord. It is a daily heart check. 
C.S lewis states that our hearts are Idol making factories. If the Lord isn’t our God daily our hearts will find something else to worship. This is why God uses broken people. Broken people realize their NEED.
 If you don’t recognize your sickness you don’t get to see the doctor. God is a healer of the broken. But this requires the Holy Spirits conviction for your sin. Repentance is key. When we go through dry spells as Christians we often feel far away from God he is not our security, he is our emotional peace. This is sometimes because we forget to repent daily of our sins. Repentance is not easy. But we cannot accept the cure if we don’t accept the diagnosis. The diagnosis is sin is our personal cancer. Knawwing on every ounce of effort and good thing we have.


 We can’t understand the depths of the security the Lord has for us until we understand the depth of our own need and desperation!  The Lord is the ultimate security and sometimes I just long to throw myself into his loving embrace and rest in his loving strength and peace. Knowing he is near is enough. How often we forget God is always near us! I pray so dearly that you rest in his nearness and find your security in it. 

Take a few minutes to read what God says about it. 

Soul Food.
Psalm 40:2
Psalm 16:8
Eph1:13
Psalm 46:1
Isaiah 52: 13
Hebrews 13:8

No comments:

Post a Comment